Translate

Tuesday 13 August 2013

THE AUSSIE BIN TRADITION



The everyday art due to globalisation?



Even though I study multi-media design, everyday designs have always fascinated my mind. Why should the bin only look nice in the kitchen, without being help full? I ask myself this question every time I need to use it here in my house in Melbourne. Back in Denmark the bin never got my attention.


Back in the 1930's the modernism truly made it through in Denmark due to globalisation as J. Nederveen Pieterse put's it; globalization is being shaped by technological changes (2004, 8).


The art genre forwarded the idea of functionality, due to new technologies in materials by Europe and USA (Gordon, J.S. 2013). Danish architects got inspired by Germany and France where the modernism had blossomed in more than 10 years due to Bauhaus, which philosophy represents the aspect of modernism (Lovejoy, M. 2004, 42).   


Modernism changed my everyday life, due to Holger Nielsen and his design of Vipp. It is a bin. Believe it. 
Vipp combines the functionality by being a pedal bin with the aesthetic and minimalistic design. It awakes the feeling of beauty when you look at it, and helps you, when your hands are felt with rubbish. Beautiful. 


The story of my Australian bin? Not so fantastic:
  • You have to use your hand to open it. 
  • The lid does not stay on to the can; you need to put it somewhere. 
  • It does not fit the regular sizes of bags you buy in the supermarket.  
  • It is made by thin steel and makes big noises, when you close it.   
  • The design is not the most divine (I know this is subjective, but it must be said!).


Now this bin is just an example. I have been thinking about this a lot since I arrived 'down under'. Australians simply choose between functionality and design! I asked my housemates about it, and they actually could not tell me wrong.


I can't help thinking: "Did Australia miss out the movement of modernism?" I believe my bin in the kitchen does not match Lovejoy's definition of modernism; 'an abstract, aesthetic pure form connected to the function of the object' (2004, 42). 



The two rivals




Bib:

Lovejoy, m, 2005, 'Digital Currents: Art in the Electronic Age', 3rd. edition, Routledge, New York


Nederveen Pieterse, J 2004, ‘Globalization: consensus and controversies’, Globalization and culture: global mélange, Rowan & Littlefield, Lanham, Md.





1 comment:

  1. Amazing. I'm annoyed no one else has commented on this because you raise some solid points. I love how you compare bins to a piece of art. Why wouldn't they be? Especially modernist art. You invoke such strong imagery of Duchamp's Fountain. You ask some valid questions, if I saw this yesterday I could not have been able to answer them.' "Did Australia miss out the movement of modernism?" '
    The answer, mostly, is yes. Haha. Believe it or not Melbourne was not always full of beer-drinking, pot-smoking, skateboard-riding bogans. It wasn't until say, roughly, the 1940's that modernism started getting any momentum in Australia. Any changes to art styles or poetry upset the then conservative Australians. As an offshoot of the European empire we were effectively brought up on the old, classical styles of art and poetry. Europe could see a change in art, be a little annoyed, but get used to it. Australia got pissed off by a change in art. It took away from our heritage and culture.

    I hope your question wasn't rhetorical.

    Maybe add another picture of video to break up the structure. Otherwise I was enthralled by your post.

    ReplyDelete