Translate

Tuesday 10 September 2013

MIRROR, MIRROR ON THE SCREEN...

It is amazing how fast I can find information on a celeb – or even a normal ‘nobody’, living on the other site of the world. We are now used to this access and actually I feel we are demanding information online from companies and celebs. We have a requirement of transparency in order to be sure of good will and our own relation is not built on a lie. I simply get annoyed if I cannot find information on a person or a company online, if I need it.


Goodvertising and exposing ones private life is used in order to comply this need of snooping by fans or stakeholders. This completes both their own need of publicity and satisfies the penurious crowd. Actually I do not have to go as far as those relational levels to prove the need of showing your good site online – I can just log on to Facebook.


Look at your own account. You have chosen the best pictures and post things, that indicates who you want to be, or even think you are. We use social media as a reflection on our lives, to goodvertise our behaviour, travels, activities in order for people to stay interested and to like, tweet or share us.


P. Marshall draws an interesting and in my case surprisingly logic line between our use of a mirror and the social platforms: 

‘We are constantly placing ourselves as with the simple technology of the mirror, into the picture and into the screen’
 (2010,499). 


The weird part of the use of this mirror is that we intend to adjust our lives to an improved version! We have now the ability to choose what we share and we create our own persona online.



Actually this is not new. We change our behaviour in order to match personalities surrounding us all the time: If you talk to your mum, most people would not find it appropriate to use slang, as you use it associating with your friends. Our online profile is a version of you, adapted to your surrounding.


ARR Silja Vase
Facebookmirror



Bib:
Marshal, P.D 2010, ‘The Specular Economy’, Society, vol. 47, no. 6

3 comments:

  1. Hi Silja, first up, great tag line – Mirror, mirror on the screen is exactly how we construct our online personas and links perfectly to the concept of the specular economy. Your continuous reflections on your own experiences and then asking the audience to do the same makes the post really engaging. ‘Goodvertising’ is a great example to use in this context and the hyperlink to further information is really helpful for the audience. You contend that we modify our behaviour depending on our audience, but nowadays with anyone from around the world being able to access our information as you said, do you think we are able to create an online persona that appeals to everyone? Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your opening paragraph and statement was strong and I got a clear sense of what you were going to talk about. I like how you relate to the reader and use them as an example by asking them to look at their own account to make your point. It was really clever. I thought you had a really good grasp of the topic and explained it well in your blog. Your language was easy to understand was and original. Your incorporation of the quote really highlighted what you were trying to say and your image (I think it was self-made) was excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I found the first thing I saw was the tag line and I thought that it was quite effective in drawing in my attention. I really like how you hyperlink the Goodvertising so I could then read on it to get a better understanding of what it was, and I like how you used in relating to celebrities. I like how you turned on to the readers and suggest a look at their own use of social media, thus engaging with your aduiance to make them more and more engaged with the blog.

    ReplyDelete